1. For family, whether “by blood” or the people you’ve met in your life, that always make you feel at home.
2. For parents and guardians who most of the time they did their best, and maybe if you got lucky, will always be some of the best people you know.
3. For mothers who were the first people to love you, who nurtured, who taught, who cheered, who supported; who carried the pains you couldn’t.
4. For fathers who love you like you like their prized possession, who disciplined, who protected; who gave everything they could for you to be everything you are.
5. For brothers who were your first friends, who teased and taunted but would never let anyone hurt a hair on your head.
6. For sisters who were some of your first friends, who you fought with and fight with, but will never let anyone hurt a hair on their head
7. For your significant other – that you can find someone to love, who doesn’t have to love you, but loves you anyway. And that you met them at the right time, in the right place, is nothing short of a miracle.
8. For your many significant others who are your true friends, who make life a lot easier to go through, and who love you more than you deserve.
9. For teachers who partook in your formation, who saw things in you that you didn’t, and who challenged you to do your best.
10. For pets and all animals we encounter who give us free and unconditional love. (Especially dogs of course.)
11. For good health if you have it, one of life’s greatest pleasures. For any good health at all.
12. For a body that allows you to function in any way.
13. For a brain that allows you to think about the world and its people in all the ways that you can.
14. For all the colors of the world that make life so much brighter than it would be otherwise.
15. For seasons, no matter how many we experience and don’t experience, their mere existence is proof that things are meant to change.
16. For the numerous cultures that we can learn about and even have the opportunity to visit all around the world.
17. For history, that we can learn about it in different ways and use that knowledge to make our present and future better.
18. For people who get up early in the morning to clean your streets and drive your busses and trains.
19. For baristas who make your hot and cold drinks to perfection.
20. For cashiers and baggers in grocery stores who stand on their feet for long hours each day, making lives easier.
21. For waiters and waitresses who put up with us when we’re at our worst – hungry.
22. For people who work at clothing stores, whose service often goes unnoticed.
23. For a warm bed at night
24. For a coat in the winter time.
25. For a phone that allows you to communicate with people instantaneously even when you are far away from them.
26. For a computer, and for the fact that they exist, and that you can have access to it – to do your work, to gain information, and to learn.
27. For the Internet, no matter how awful it may seem some days, it has revolutionized our lives for the better.
28. For people who don’t like you because they remind you that you that you have values and opinions so strong that you’re willing to sacrifice your likability at the expense of standing by them.
29. For people who can disagree with values and opinions and still like the person anyway.
30. For kind strangers who at a personal cost to them, helped you in some shape or form.
31. For the time that you left something of value in a place, and someone turned it into you.
32. For good food, whether you’re making it or eating it.
33. For knowing that you know where your next meal is coming from.
34. For good wine, another one of life’s great pleasures.
35. For your favorite beer or cocktail which if nothing else, has sometimes made that hard work day seem a lot lighter.
36. For access to water, one of life’s most important necessities.
37. For music, which fills the soul in all the ways that it does.
38. For art, which makes life beautiful in and of itself.
39. For words, whether written or spoken or signed, that give life meaning and give meaning to our lives.
40. For science, for giving us many creations that have simplified our lives, and the knowledge to keep seeking better ways to live.
41. For trees that give our environments life.
42. For the grass that is home to many tiny creatures.
43. For roads, streets and sidewalks and those who take care of them, as we go about our everyday lives using them.
44. For little pleasures like crushes that remind you that humans are always seeking to love and be loved.
45. For acts of affection like hugs and hand-holding and kisses, because they remind us of the importance of touch.
46. For heartbreak because it reminds you that your heart is strong enough to face the worst and still keep beating.
47. For suffering and pain and failure because it teaches you to be grateful and aware that you only have so much control.
48. For the ability to help others in need who remind us that we are all in need, in one way or another.
49. For good times and bad times – that we celebrate them or made it through them.
50. For faith, hope, and love. Because those things are free, irreplaceable, and the only things that last a lifetime.
51. For life, because without it none of the above is possible.